Enrol to Vote

Enrolment information is available in other languages and in audio, AUSLAN and other accessible formats.

Why should I enrol to vote?

It is important to enrol to vote as it allows you to have a say in:

You cannot vote if you have not enrolled, and you may be fined for not doing so.

Who can enrol?

You can enrol if you:

  • are an Australian citizen, or a British citizen who was enrolled to vote in Australia on 25 January 1984; and
  • are 16 years of age or older (but you cannot vote until you are 18); and
  • have lived at your current address for at least one month.

Check if you are enrolled.

How to enrol for future election events?

You should ensure your enrolment details are always current. To enrol to vote or change your name or address after 28 days at a new residence, complete an electoral enrolment form for federal, state and local government elections. In most circumstances, you can enrol to vote or update your enrolment online or you can obtain a form and prepaid envelope from our office, post offices or an Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) office.

The form may be returned by post, fax, email or hand-delivery to an AEC office.

Once processed, the AEC will send you an acknowledgment advice. This provides details of your:

  • name as it appears on the roll
  • federal electoral division
  • state electoral district
  • local government area

If you do not receive your advice within 4 weeks you should contact the AEC via email info@aec.gov.au or phone 13 23 26.

Non-resident rolls for Local Government elections

The electoral enrolment form cannot be used to apply for enrolment on the local government rolls of non-resident owners, occupiers and rate paying lessees. For details about applying to be on these rolls visit Local Government enrolment.

Enrolment Objections


Where there is doubt as to a person's eligibility to be on a State electoral district roll, an objection can be lodged with the Australian Electoral Commission.

Local Government

Under the Local Government Act 1993 a person may lodge an objection to inclusion in the roll of:

  • their name
  • specified particulars entered against their name
  • the name of another person
  • specified particulars entered against the name of another person.

Objections regarding all residential rolls are to be lodged with the NSWEC .

Objections to all council non-residential rolls are to be lodged with the relevant council general manager.

Objection to Local Government Enrolment Form (PDF 17.5 KB)PDF